Power distributor provides safety tips to ensure bright and trouble-free celebrations
The Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) has assured its customers that it will continue to provide 24/7 service and advised the public to practice electrical safety to ensure bright and hassle-free celebrations this holiday season.
Throughout the Christmas and New Year celebrations, Meralco personnel will be on standby to respond to any power-related emergency. Contingency measures are also in place should pyrotechnics, firecracker explosions, and even weather disturbances affect distribution facilities.
Meralco Vice President and Head of Corporate Communications Joe R. Zaldarriaga cautioned the public against using firecrackers and party props such as balloons and confetti near power lines.
“We advise the public not to play with firecrackers and pyrotechnics near electric lines and transformers as these may cause power interruptions and even result in accidents,” Zaldarriaga said.
Although Meralco regularly upgrades and maintains its facilities to ensure that they are in tip-top condition, overhead lines are still vulnerable to firecracker explosions and pyrotechnics.
To ensure a bright, merry, and accident-free holiday celebration, Meralco the following electrical safety measures that the public should follow.
• Use Christmas lights with quality control markings and make sure to use the appropriate type for indoor and outdoor use. When installing decorations outdoors, inspect for loose connections first and possible damages especially near power lines.
• Avoid ‘octopus’ connections or overloading since this could result in fires and other accidents.
• Always use firecracker outdoors with a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby in case the sparklers come in contact with flammable materials. Ensure that family members know how to use fire extinguishers.
• Stay clear from electrical facilities when using party items. Refrain from using party poppers and balloons near power lines as this may also cause power outages.
• While Christmas lights and colorful lanterns make the house more festive, don’t forget to unplug them before going to bed or when leaving the home.
• For those going on a holiday trip, remember to unplug all appliances. It is also better to turn off your circuit breakers before leaving.
“Our Call Center is ready to respond to customers’ needs at any given time even during the holidays,” Zaldarriaga said, adding that customers can call Meralco’s 16211 hotline.
Customers may also message Meralco through its social media pages on Facebook (www.facebook.com/meralco) and Twitter (@meralco), or text their concerns to 0920-9716211 or 0917-5516211.