In the light of the national health emergency brought about by COVID-19, National Academy of Science and Technology Philippines (NAST PHL) is making it known that submission of entries for the 2020 Department of Science and Technology Intellectual Property Awards (DOST IPA) and 2020 Department of Science and Technology National Science and Technology Week (DOST NSTW) Awards has been extended until May 21, 2020.
The Academy recognizes and provides incentives to Filipino scientists for outstanding achievements in scientific research and development. NAST PHL, through its Recognition function, has contributed significantly in promoting and fostering excellence in science and technology research in the country.
National Scientist Rank and Title
The conferment of the Order of National Scientist by the President of the Republic of the Philippines is the highest honor given to a Filipino man or woman of science. Nominees should receive 60 percent of the total votes of the full membership of the Academy before being recommended to the President of the country for the honor. Forty-one (41) National Scientist are proclaimed since year 1976.
Academicians and Corresponding Members
Membership to the Academy is by peer recognition and carries with it the title of “Academician.” Resident Filipino scientists elected as Academicians who have made exemplary contributions to science and technology and have advanced its cause in the Philippines.
Corresponding membership on the other hand, is conferred on non-resident Filipino scientists who have made exemplary contributions to the advancement of science and technology and must have continuing connections and contributions to Philippine science. They should regularly come to the Philippines to practice their field of expertise. Filipino citizenship and residency are waived as long as the three qualifications are met.
To recognize exceptional outstanding contributions to science and technology, the Academy established the Honorary Membership which may be conferred on recipients of internationally recognized prestigious scientific awards such as the Nobel Prize, the Food Prize and the like, who come to the Philippines to deliver a lecture for the Academy.
The following are the major recognition awards and activities undertaken by NAST:
A. NAST AWARDS
- OUTSTANDING YOUNG SCIENTIST
- OUTSTANDING BOOK AND/OR MONOGRAPH AWARDS
- OUTSTANDING SCIENTIFIC PAPER AWARDS
- NAST ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AWARD
- NAST-TWAS PRIZE FOR YOUNG SCIENTIST IN THE PHILIPPINES
- DR. GEMINIANO DE OCAMPO VISIONARY AWARDS FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH
- NAST TALENT SEARCH FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS
- NAST-AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING RESEARCH IN TROPICAL MEDICINE
- MAGSAYSAY FUTURE ENGINEERS/TECHNOLOGISTS AWARD
B. NSTW AWARDS
- NSTW Award – THE OUTSTANDING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AWARD
- NSTW Award – THE OUTSTANDING TECHNOLOGY COMMERCIALIZATION AWARD
- NSTW Award – THE OUTSTANDING SCIENCE ADMINISTRATOR AWARD
C. DOST AWARDS